Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pursuit of Happiness

While laying on my favorite raft, in the middle of the lake, at my very own retreat from the real world I came to a realization. Life is good... I want it to be great!

KO, Brad, Ben and I packed up our cars and hit the road for a much needed breather on Memorial Day weekend. We made a stop at Hooters for some wings and the largest Corona I have ever seen and then we were off to the lake. (The Lake of The Ozarks, that is)

The lake house has become Ben and my home away from home the past few summers. When life gets to be a little too much, when we feel as though we just can not breath, or when we are just plain board we pack the car and get the heck out of Dodge. There is something about laying on the dock or a raft in the sun that just makes everything okay. No matter what crazy stage we are in, the lake house just makes life make sense again.

This trip was especially needed for KO and myself. It turned out to be a nice relaxing weekend that left us sad to leave our oasis in the sun. For me it could have been a little better since I was pretty sick for most of the weekend but, why let being sick bring you down, right?!

Back to my point here...While relaxing on my raft in the sun Saturday morning, I had a utopia moment... I was floating there in the middle of the lake, listening to Kari's perfect compilation of tunes when it hit me. This feeling, right at this moment, this is happiness! Laying here, in the sun, with two people that completely get me and always love me no matter what; that is true happiness.

Some say that we always want more. No matter what we have, we always want more. Though I do not completely believe this, I do believe that at this point in my life I want more. I am not satisfied with happy... I want ridiculously happy. I want to love my job, I want to love my life; no matter what curve ball life throws at me, I want to be able to pick it up and run with it. I want this kind of happy, and someday soon I and my husband will be there. We will have this kind of happy, and that is what keeps me moving through life. That is what gives me strength to get through the long days.

I have a husband who loves and supports me in everything I do and everything I want to do. I have a best friend that knows absolutely EVERYTHING about me and loves me, not in-spite of it, but because of it. She loves the good, the bad, and the ugly. She has seen me at my best and at my worst and she still says, "count me in on that life!!"

All of this came to me from one song. Of all songs, it was a rap song. I may not agree completely with everything the artist says in this song but at that moment, his song just fit...

I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold. I'll be fine once I get it, I'll be good... - Kid Cudi -

CoCo, chillin at the lake last summer

Brothers - the best kind of friends
Now this is happiness

Always a little dance in this one

Sunsets are always better at the lake

Husband, puppies, lake, perfection!

Lake Summer 2010

I think we have this same photo at every age since fifteen

There are no words for this photo... :)

Come on! It's the lake, who needs grammar??


That's all for now...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails