Monday, June 21, 2010

Peaks, Valleys, and the Silver Lining

Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this Mama said (Mama said, mama said)... Shirelles - Mama Said (1961)

For whatever reason, while writing this post, I can not get that song out of my head.

Well, my Momma always said, "Sweetie, there are peaks and there are valleys and sometimes you are at a peak and sometimes you are in a valley, and still other times you are climbing up to that peak." Momma was right!

At this very second, I would say that I am climbing my way to the top. I am not quite to that peak yet, but I sure am getting close. I have been thinking, and planning this post since last night laying in bed. At first it was entitled only, "Peaks and Valley." However, after the day my husband and I had today, the "Silver Lining" seemed exceptionally appropriate!

The Silver Lining is something my hubs taught me, a few years back when I was over worked, under payed and SO dang tired!!! I was working forty hours a week as a pharmacy technician, while going to school thirty-five hours a week and owner of my tiny little apartment was too cheap to get a real contractor so the "handy men" he hired to do his "major construction work" loved to work odd hours, such as 5-9 pm. This just happened to be the exact time I slept before my midnight shift at the pharmacy started. Needles to say, I was not the most fun person to be around. Ben actually affectionately called me his "Grumpy dwarf" He even bought me a T-Shirt to sleep in that said, "HUG me, I'm grumpy" and had the Disney character with arms outstretched.

While riding in the car one Saturday at about noon, which was exceptionally early on my only day to get some real sleep, Ben looked at me (with my huge bags under my eyes, and my hair that was wild and curly since I had lost the will to use a brush, blow dryer, and straighter) and said so lovingly, "look at the Silver Lining, Sweety, whatever does not kill you will make you stronger!" He went on to make me give a Silver Lining answer for every crazy situation that could possibly happen. The Silver Lining! Humm... I was not so into Silver Lining comments at that point in my journey up Mount Everest. The point here is that I made it. I finished and became a Medical Secretary. That journey was complete and Ben's, yes annoying, but encouraging little antidotes always seemed to make things a little easier.

Back to today; Today was not a "bad" day per-say... It was just a "challenging" day. Yes, we will call it a challenge of my high on happiness.

The first challenge of my day came early in the morning. I was just not feeling the morning this a.m. It is so much more fun to cuddle in bed with my sleepy husband and puppies than to get out of bed, into the shower, and head off to work. Though, I drug myself up, and out the door and into Monday morning traffic. Oh was it traffic! The P.S.B. was in a deadlock as I approached about 10 minutes later than I should have been there, anyway.

Needless to say, I was late to work. As I ran into my office and threw my frozen lunch into the office freezer I looked down at my feet.... flip flops.... (A big office NO, NO) luckily I had an extra pair of heals in my desk drawer for just this occasion. Unluckily, I did not have any cute little half socks to wear under them. I have a blister on my heal as proof!

The rest of my day was not bad but definitely challenging as we are about ten people short and it is the busiest time of year for me. As my day drew to a close I was excited to leave the office and head on over to the sister-in-laws kitchen for a waiting, hot meal. T-minus four minutes to the end of my day, the phone rang and it was Ben. HooRay! A happy voice was not awaiting me on the other end. He had gotten in a car accident. :( He was fine, the car was ummm... less than fine, and every one else involved was fine. The silver lining, right??

As I climbed into my car and started the drive out of the parking garage, I phoned Ashley to say we would not make it to that wonderful home cooked dinner she had prepared. I was on my way home to console my unhappy husband.

As I drove done highway 70, a strange thing happened. I was driving along, minding my own business...

when suddenly I saw this....

Photobucket

which quickly became this...

Photobucket

Okay, so if you look closely there is no driver. This was actually a MACK truck being towed by another MACK truck; sure gave me a good scare though.

I just kept thinking to myself, "Silver Lining, Silver, Lining, Lori... It will be over quickly. :) See, now I can see the silver lining in EVERYTHING.

Any way the evening really only became more comical. Ben got hit in the ankle, side, and head with two separate 2x4's and a sheet of roofing, and McDonald's forgot my small french fries and put onion on my burger.

The silver lining to my day... It is time to go to bed and tomorrow can only get better! Also, I am blessed with two adorable puppies and a cuddly husband to take to bed with me. The biggest silver lining of all... That same cuddly husband is right by my side through every peak and valley to remind me of all of that silver lining I have to be thankful for.

My Favorite golfer!

My Golfer


Okay, so this photo is CrAzY old, but they are just so whittle and cute!! Don't you just want to squeeze em??

Photobucket

It is off to dream land for me...

Love, Love,
Lo Mc

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails